Monday 17 February 2014

A long overdue book review

 I have been meaning to review this Allotment book since the end of last year ! And feel bad that I haven't.  But today I made it priority.

If you already have an Allotment, or are considering taking one on ! This is a brilliant book. Its I formative , funny and laid back rather than being formal and sometimes formal is boring.
Ok some bits are a bit OTT  such as 'Camp on your plot '  a definite no go if its local council owned, but funny and interesting never the less.

There is an introduction by my favourite gardener Alys Fowler and in her words :  Don't leave this book at home: its one to to sit in the allotment shed and jot notes in, and there are plenty of pages to do just that.

I know I'm reviewing it, but I can honestly say its worth buying a copy and I'm glad I have one. Don't take my word for it ! Have a look at a copy and I'm sure you will agree its very different to the usual Allotment books.

I would add shop around as the price differs in each shop, garden centre, and online.
If you do buy a copy I'd love to know what you think.





8 comments:

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

I've read so many reviews of it I might just buy a copy for myself & I don't have an allotment. I do have a veg garden though so it would be put to use. Alys Fowler is one of my favourite gardeners too.

Maureen said...

Hi awholeplotoflove (love your blog name !)
I think you will enjoy the book as it's really different, I love it. Its great doing a review for a book I probably wouldn't have known about.
As I said shop around for prices as they do vary.
Thanks for your comment.

M x

cookie said...

Welcome back Maureen. A very good book review.

Maureen said...

Thank you Cookie. I tried to leave a comment on your blog saying how I enjoyed your London Christmas lights as I didn't make it last year myself. But as usual blogger is playing up and wouldn't let me publish !!!

I pressed so many times and nothing ! Grrrrrrrr

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are back blogging as I enjoy reading your blog. I don't have an allotment but consider my front garden like a mini allotment so am always interested in reading reviews about gardening books or journals. This one seems like one worth having.

Maureen said...

Thank you madebylova glad you visited my blog, I hope you buy the book as it's quite different and laid back.
M x

D said...

It's good to see you back mo!! X

Maureen said...

Thanks Deb, I'm glad to be back. I've been busy sorting out an elderly uncle who has now gone in a home. He lives in Sussex which is a good two hours drive away ! So no easy thing to sort,
Plus I've been shabby chic -ing or as I like to call it Upcycling furniture and its selling well, so that keeps me busy as well.
M xx