Tuesday 3 January 2012

A Very Happy New Year to you all

Well it's all over and a New Year has begun ! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that you have lot's of plans for the coming year for the allotment and garden.

The weather is dreadful at the moment, high winds, rain and grey skies, but we can't complain as it's still very mild for this time of year and as long as we don't have snow at Easter ( we have in the past !) I for one am happy that we are having a mild winter.

I worked my two volunteering shifts with the homeless in London, one on Christmas day and again on the 27th December and it was just as great as last year, but this year we had a beautiful College in Kings Cross in which to feed, entertain and pamper our 'Guests' . The kitchens were first class so the volunteer chefs were very happy  and cooked some very delicious meals over the 'Crisis for Christmas' week.  The showers worked a treat and were used a lot, although we did have a chap who stayed in so long that the steam set the fire alarm off.  We had to vacate the building and line the next street until all was deemed safe to go back in. So we had to make sure anyone using the showers only stayed in for 5-10 mins after that.

There was a doctor, podiatrist, optician, hairdresser, and all sorts of therapists who gave their time freely to enable the guests to have a brilliant Christmas.  We had entertainers, a brass band, and an Opera singer, bingo, karaoke and arts and crafts.  It was amazing what 'Crisis' had achieved.  The lovely actress Sian Phillips (who was once married to Peter O'Toole) was there again this year and she has been giving up her Christmas for a number of years and really mucked in and didn't mind what jobs she was given, a true 'Star'.

I was lucky that my family indulged me again this year in not minding me 'doing my thing'  and I made up for it when we all spent boxing day together and also New Year.  Next Christmas I will do other days though rather than Christmas day so as to be fair to them. It's addictive though.  Most volunteers go back each year.

I have to now get on and plan what seeds to sow and when to sow them, so a look through my bulging seed box is a must this coming week. I haven't been to the allotment for weeks it's too depressing in this dismal weather.

Wishing you all A Happy New Year.
M x

11 comments:

Mark Willis said...

Well done Mo - a very noble effort! I'm sure your Guests must have really appreciated what you and your colleagues did for them.
How did you get into this in the first place? Is it something that anyone can do, or must you be invited?

Damo said...

Happy New Year and what a great thing to give your time at Christmas. I've just done a seed sort and posted my current list which is very long indeed. Not sure if I'll get round to growing all of them! Best wishes for the new season.

Chris said...

YOU are a 'star' Maureen, I take my hat off to you, totally humbling. I'm sure that you made Christmas so very special for other people. Your family are equally selfless to share you, bless you x

Anna said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the volunteering experience again Maureen. I'm in the middle of a seed sort out/planning session too. Wishing you a happy New Year and may all that graces your garden and allotment flourish :)

Lady Fe said...

Happy New Year to you too! We're doing the half-hour here and there at the allotment, not too much to cope with, and so far been lucky with the weather while we're there.

While you're looking through the seeds lists and if you haven't already given them a go, look out for patty pan squash - small, easy to grow and taste a bit nutty ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you've had another great volunteering Christmas - and I can understand why you'd want to keep on doing it.
The allotment and back garden are definitely on my mind just now - planning seeds, hard landscape and a bit of a shift around for some of the plants. Perfect weather for it today - gales, rain and freezing cold.
Happy New Year Maureen!
P xx

Maureen said...

Hi Mark. The guests really did appreciate all our efforts to give them a great time, however we volunteers also got a great deal out of the experience as well.
I got into the volunteering by going to the 'Crisis' website :-
http://www.crisis.org.uk/

It's something I have always wanted to do, so last year I made it happen and so glad I did.

Maureen said...

Thank you DAMO, CHRIS, ANNA, MAD KIWI BIRD and PAM for your comments. I will visit your blogs to see what your all up to tomorrow. A New Year and a New start with catching up with my blog reading and posting more on my own.
M xx

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Maureen, I can't believe a whole year has passed since you posted about your 2010 Christmas volunteering. I am so glad it was as fulfilling this year. Well done! Wishing you a blessed new year, dear friend. P. x

Maureen said...

Dear Pam I agree it's amazing how fast the year went by. I hope this year is a good one for you especially with your health.
Love to you and your family
M x

Vicki Boster said...

Maureen- what a wonderful gift of yourself to give to those less fortunate--- you will reap many rewards for this gracious service. Happy New Year to you--
I hope to visit here often in these coming months--
Vicki