Friday 30 January 2009

John Martyn- R.I.P

This post has nothing to do with allotments or plants, but please excuse me while I pay tribute to a musician who you may never have even heard of ( but I hope you have).
John Martyn was a Folk & Blues singer /musician who had amazing talent. He died yesterday aged 60. He hailed from Scotland, the son of Opera singer parents, who split up when he was a wee boy, he was raised in Glasgow by an Aunt. He worked with and was respected by some of the greatest artist's of our time. He was a hard drinking/ hard living kind of a man, wild, and spirited. His best known album was "Solid Air" (1973) It was the first album I heard and it made me a lifelong fan.

I saw him live on stage a few years back, he had put on lots of weight, had a leg amputated from the knee and so had to be helped onto the stage. His playing was awesome that evening and his voice majestic, and he had the audience in the palm of his hand and got a huge standing ovation.
So it's a sad day for John Martyn fans and the fans of folk & blues.


The celebrated songwriter collaborated with Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton and Phil Collins amongst others on his 20 studio albums and was awarded an OBE in the last new year’s honours list.

x God Bless John x

I have added a favourite track from "Solid Air" on my play list below called "May You Never" click on it to play it, it's the last one on the list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I don't quite know how I'm going to tell bb. He's been part of the soundtrack to our marriage.

P x

Maureen said...

Oh dear ! it's so sad isn't it. Ive been playing "Solid Air" this afternoon and realising that I am never going to get to see him performing again. Here's a link to his trubute page http://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/tribute/martyn/3009694
You may like to visit it.